Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lessons from golf... take 1


Golf is most definatly the sport I enjoy the most, but also the sport where I have come very close to breaking something. I've experienced amazing joy when I hit a hole-in-one when I was 16, but I've also experienced such intense frustration when I can't even hit a pitching wedge straight. During my years playing golf God has often given me a lesson of life... And it's these that I want to share with you. (this will also inspire to get on the golf course more often!)

- Take 1 -

Playing time here in Pretoria/Centurion has definately been few and far between. I dont have the playing freedom I am used to while I was living in Douglas. So, this means that the golf is VERY inconsistent so I try to spend time on the driving range as often as I can.

This story is about one of those times. It started out great. I hit the balls sweet, they went into the direction I was aiming in (well more or less) and I really felt good about my golf. For the first time in a while. Then... I lost my swing. I could'nt hit anything. Not even my favoirite club in the bag, the 7 iron.
Something was horribly wrong and I didnt have the faintest idea what.

I knew that my golf was better than what I was seeing (and unfortunately others as well) so I spoke to God. There had to be a lesson in this, there had to be a reason for me sucking that bad! How could I just lose my swing???

This is the response I got: That is exactly what a christian is like who has lost his faith. Like a golfer who has lost his swing.

And it hit me, this was a warning, not to lose faith. No matter what circumstances we are faced with, we cannot afford to lose faith. Otherwise we will be as effective as a golfer without a swing who cant even make the easy shots...

No comments:

Post a Comment